Tuesday, October 9, 2007

U C What I C: Drafts & Planning

Examples of layout drafts for the storybook.


Layout being edited.


Layout further edited.

Elements being added.


Flaws in pictures after being coloured in. Problem here was the transfer from flash to other programmes, hidden layers were showing up. Shifting between programmes we edited to remove the unwanted parts.


Before being coloured.


Before text was added.


Planning for the photographic story. As you can see some were abandoned halfway due to foreseen difficulties in accurate portrayal.


The stories changed according to what I could make the characters do and new ideas emerging in production process.

Eventually I decided to go with the brutal doll story because it was fun and interesting, involving many different angles to get the right visuals. It was fun to play around with elements like colours.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to edit the backdrops more dramatically but the composition idea of each photograph is still quite evident.


I deliberately shot this version allowing for open interpretation at one point. It can be seen as a horror story of a girl coming back to life. The reddenned image of her face seems to communicate this. This was done simply by placing my finger over the flash bulb.

The other interpretation is just that she didn't die and come back for revenge.

I like that it is open, allowing different people to interpret differently or some people to even intepret both and toggle back and forth to wonder which one. Sometimes art doesn't have the answers, so I was quite happy with the ambiguity formed by using my creative license.

Drafts.


Drafts.


Drafts.

No comments: